CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sonja

Flash Forward from last week's entry... the year is now 1984. I am still overseas at an American base in Europe.

I met a young woman (well, we were all young in those days, weren't we?) named Sonja.

Sonja was a cook in the base dining facility... she was a sergeant and I was a corporal... She was a beautiful girl, and I was... well I was this studly young thing of nearly 21 years of age.

I would see her when I took my meals, and we would chat, and smile at each other. Either my friends were around or hers were, so we didn't get much opportunity to talk. Until that great summer afternoon when I was with my buddy, Dave, who said "I'm going to wait for you outside, man, you need to go talk to her alone!" She smiled and said that it was nice of my friend to give us a minute to talk... I agreed and wasted no time in asking her out.

We went to see some odd movie that I don't remember at all. After the movie, we went to her apartment and talked about music and then...

and then...

And then I went back to my own apartment around eleven o'clock! (Hey, if you were looking for the salacious, you'll have to wait, there was none of that with this girl)

We saw each other two days later, and went out for a drink, and laughed like there was no tomorrow. We had sparks. We had physical attraction (oh Lord was she built!), but there was something missing. She knew it too. We never dated again, but we remained friends for several year and assignments afterwards.

It was the weirdest thing ever. She was hot!

I was pretty hot back then, too!

I mean... there should have been something, right? I don't mean just sex... but something romantic, right?

Jeez.

Well, 23 years later, I don't know what happened that night, but it makes me smile anyway.

1 comments:

anno said...

Sometimes I think we spend most of the rest of our lives trying to figure out what was going on when we were 17. I love this story!